Things That Make You Go Hmmm…Questioning Paternity
Have you ever wondered why some men choose to have a paternity test? Sometimes it is obvious and other times maybe not so much. Here is a small list of some common and maybe not so common reasons to get a paternity test. This list is by no means exhaustive so feel free to do your own research as well.
- The baby has the wrong skin color. This one is probably the most obvious and perhaps the number one reason for doubting paternity.
- The due date does not coincide with when intercourse took place. Keep in mind though due dates are an estimate and it is very hard to pinpoint the exact date of conception.
- The mother and I both have blue eyes, but the baby has brown. Since blue eyes are a recessive trait, it stands to reason that blue-eyed parents must have a blue-eyed baby. However, new research has show that it is possible for blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed child (although rare) due to the complex genes that make up eye color.
- The mother of the child in question has had multiple sexual partners. This one is fairly obvious too I suspect. Remember though, if fraternal twins are involved that you would need to test for paternity against both twins because in rare cases each twin could have a different father.
- The mother of the child has Type O blood and my Type is A, but the Child is Type B. Paternity would definitely be in question in this instance based on the blood type charts. It can be more complicated than the example above, but here are some blood type charts to help you out (http://www.canadiancrc.com/paternity_determination_blood_type.aspx)